Robert J. Schmitz
Robert Schmitz is a senior fellow at Mathematica, in Cambridge, MA. An expert in long-term care and postacute care payment systems, he directed Mathematica’s evaluation of Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plans, which is examining the effects of enrollment in these plans on beneficiary outcomes, quality of care, and Medicare costs.
Schmitz is also principal investigator for an evaluation of the Program for All-Inclusive Care of the Elderly, a unique managed care benefit for the frail elderly that seeks to provide better care and cost savings by integrating preventive, acute, and long-term care into one package.
Before joining Mathematica in 2000, Schmitz was a principal associate with Abt Associates Inc. He has directed evaluations of Medicare payment policy for skilled nursing facilities and of capitation plans for community nursing care. His expertise includes health risk adjustment, trends in the physician workforce, and expenditures for Medicare home health services.
Schmitz publishes in peer-reviewed journals such as the Journal of the American Medical Association and presents at professional conferences for the American Statistical Association, American Public Health Association, and other groups. He has a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Chicago.
Less Detail More Detail
- Areas of Expertise
- Key Projects
- Long-term care and postacute care payment systems
- Health risk adjustment, trends in the physician workforce
- Expenditures for Medicare home health services
- Research and Analytic Support to the Special Commission on the Health Care Payment System
- Substitutability of Services Across Institutional Post-Acute Care Settings
- Evaluation of Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plans